Why subscribe to the 2013-2014 Season? Let us count the ways!
1) A dynamic blend of masterwork encores and prestigious premieres, including a world premiere viola concerto performed by the principal violist of the London symphony, Paul Silverthorne and the American premiere of a pipa concerto performed by Wu Man, Musical America’s 2013 “Instrumentalist of the Year.”
2) Favorite artists back by popular demand: cellist Maya Beiser, violinist Tedi Papavrami, soprano Christine Brandes and pianists Philippe Bianconi and Jon Kimura Parker
3) More seats available at a lower price ($125 to $525 for seven concerts)
4) Earliest choice for best seats and advance tickets for special concerts
5) Highest priority for renewing same seats, or seat upgrades
6) Free ticket exchanges with timely requests
7) Create your own 4-concert Mini-Series package
8) Savings of up to 12% over single ticket buyers
9) Single tickets may not be available in some sections on some days
10) Discovery Open Rehearsals just $12.71 per concert
Secure your seats before single tickets go on sale July 30.
News & Noteworthy
Classics Alive Foundation names SRS Youth Orchestra
“Youth Orchestra of the Year” for 2013
The Classics Alive Foundation, headed by celebrated violinist Lindsay Deutsch, has named Santa Rosa Symphony’s Youth Orchestra “Youth Orchestra of the Year” for 2013 and awarded a $500 cash prize to be used for music or equipment for the ensemble. The award also includes the Foundation’s sponsorship of a master class for our young musicians by the violinist herself.
What is particularly notable about this honor is that the Classics Alive nomination process was completed exclusively by the youth orchestra musicians. They responded to a questionnaire and described their “involvement with music and how it has contributed to their wholeness as a person.” The ensembles completed nomination materials were not seen or overseen by Symphony staff.
Dr. Richard Loheyde, SRS assistant conductor and conductor of the Youth Orchestra, said, “"I was so very pleased to learn of this tremendous award from the Classics Alive Foundation. To be named Youth Orchestra of the Year is such a great honor. We are all thrilled! I could not be more proud of the hard working young musicians of our orchestra."
Kahane and Ferrandis: One Night Only A Special Benefit Performance
On Thursday, May 22, 2014, at 7 p.m., Jeffrey Kahane and Bruno Ferrandis collaborate to present a concert in support of Santa Rosa Symphony’s artistic and education programs.
Symphony subscribers have the first opportunity to select their seats for this tour de force performance — with Maestro Ferrandis conducting the orchestra and Jeffrey Kahane at the piano for two magnificent concertos.
Concert tickets are offered for $50, $75, and $125. Patrons may enhance their experience to include a black-tie-optional reception in Prelude Restaurant for $250 per person. The reception, directly following the performance, features light appetizers, wine and champagne, no-host bar, desserts, coffee and live music. This special package is limited to 150 tickets.
Music of the Spheres: Sounds of Eternity
On Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 3 p.m., the Santa Rosa Symphony and Sonoma Bach Choir come together under the baton of Robert Worth, to present a vocal and instrumental exploration of “cosmic” music. From living composer Arvo Pärt’s Te Deum to Bach’s B Minor Mass and Handel’s Messiah, and also including composers Schütz, Duruflé and Desprez, each of the texts chosen by Dr. Worth is an evocation of the heavens and the greater universe. The magnificent acoustics of Weill Hall is a worthy setting for music that will transcend everyday experience.
Subscribers for the 2013-2014 season are eligible to purchase tickets for these two special concerts now. Tickets will be available to the general public beginning July 30.
Santa Rosa Symphony League
Organized in 1958 and Still Going Strong
The goals of the League are to enhance the quality of life in the community, support quality orchestral music, support music education for youth, and promote personal and collegial relationships among members. The League raises money pledged to the orchestra each year through a variety of fund raising events.